Highlights
Join us on FaceBook and YouTube!
FaceBook YouTube

Related Links
Reading is Fundamental (Official Site)

Contact:
Damaris Boone
RCMA
551 W. Cowboy Way
Labelle, Fl 33935
Tel: (239) 658-3560
Fax: (863) 453-0145
damaris@rcma.org


Reading Is Fundamental (RIF)
RCMA children have received more than 100,000 free books through the Reading is Fundamental (RIF) program.

Every RCMA child ages 6 weeks through 12 years receives a minimum of three books. Distributions are organized around a motivational activity three times or more during the season with the help of volunteers from the community and the children's families.

Approximately 2,000 parents or guardians volunteer for RIF activities at their children's centers, and nearly 500 other relatives help out as story tellers, book readers or dress up as clowns. Community partners offer material support as well as being behind-the-scenes organizers, donating their time to make the distribution events successful. Parents participate in the selection process to order the books from the publishers.

More than 80 RCMA sites, representing 5,319 children between the ages of 6 weeks and 12 years of age, participated in the RIF program in the 2004-2005 season. RCMA must raise 25 percent of the RIF budget from the community, and RIF pays the other 75 percent of the cost of the books.

Founded in 1966, RIF is the oldest and largest children's and family nonprofit literacy organization in the United States. RIF's highest priority is reaching underserved children from birth to age 8. Through a national, grassroots network of community volunteers at 21,000 program sites, RIF provides 5 million children with 17 million new, free books and literacy resources each year.

All RIF programs combine three essential elements to foster children's literacy: reading motivation, family and community involvement, and the excitement of choosing free books to keep.